The Restoration Principle
Restoration: Its Meaning and Importance Today
DEALING WITH RESTORATION AND ITS IMPORTANCE TO US RIGHT NOW, all of these essays will be found, Lord willing, in various places in my book Walking in Christ, scheduled for publication in the fall of 2025. They have been gathered together here so they can be read as a continuous work. Here are the 18 essays:
- Apostasy Began to Arise in the New Testament Period
- The Way of Christ vs. Worldwide “Christendom”
- The Apostolic Norm
- Drifting Away
- The Restoration Principle (1)
- The Restoration Principle (2)
- Individual Apostasy
- Congregational Apostasy
- The Book of Hebrews: Do We Need It Anymore?
- The “Gravitational Pull” of Apostate Christianity
- We Need to Be Warned Against Apostasy (1)
- We Need to Be Warned Against Apostasy (2)
- “Pluralism” and the Local Congregation
- The Duty of the Watchman
- Making Clear the Difference
- Contending Earnestly for the Faith
- Whither Our Children?
Those who talk about apostasy and urge us to guard against its danger are often accused of talking about nothing else. To that charge, at least, I plead innocent. These pages make up only 1/20th of Walking in Christ, the book of which they will be a part, and an even smaller percentage of my lifetime work as a whole.
In both the written and spoken word, I’ve always tried to balance courtesy and clarity (a decidedly difficult feat), but in this particular work I have tilted more in the direction of clarity. The topics are of crucial importance, and your time would be wasted if I spoke in such a gentle, roundabout way that you didn’t get the point.
These days it sometimes feels like we’re living in a “blender,” with every imaginable idea thrown together and blended into an undifferentiated pudding. This doing-away-with-distinctions is part and parcel of modern “globalism,” “pluralism,” and “tolerance.” But if we’re going to be anything like our brothers and sisters in the New Testament, there are some distinctions that will have to be defended and kept in place. This material addresses some of those concerns.
From Obeying the Gospel . . .
- Mar 26 — Studying ‘the Church’ in the Scriptures
- Mar 27 — Which Synagogue? Messiah? Church?
- Apr 15 — The Keys of the Kingdom
- May 3 — God’s Glory in the Church and in Christ Jesus
- May 4 — Christ and the Church
- May 5 — Christ Gave Himself Up for the Church
- May 17 — The Body of Christ
- May 18 — Obtained with Christ’s Blood
- May 30 — Who Are the ‘People of God’
- Jun 10 — The Importance of the Apostles
- Jun 11 — Normative Nature of the Apostles’ Teaching
- Jul 10 — You Shall Not Add or Take Away
- Aug 2 — The Church Manifests God’s Wisdom
- Aug 3 — After Becoming a Christian, Then What?
- Aug 5 — The Household of God
- Aug 6 — I Will Build My Church
- Aug 7 — Christ to His People: Congregate!
- Aug 8 — Wanting to Associate with Faithful Disciples
- Aug 9 — What About the ‘churches of Christ’?
- Aug 18 — Is It Possible to ‘Drift’ Away from Christ?
- Sep 9 — ‘In the Right Church’ and Still Lost?
- Sep 23 — Individually . . . and Together
- Oct 3 — The Church in Philippi
- Oct 11 — Everywhere in Every Church
- Oct 12 — The Apostles
- Oct 13 — The Apostolic Traditions
- Oct 14 — Restoration as a Principle
- Oct 15 — Restoration as an Ongoing Work
- Oct 16 — Apostasy Was Foretold
- Nov 10 — The Samaritan Syndrome
From Diligently Seeking God . . .
- Apr 26 — Aspiring to Be Acceptable
- May 11 — Seeking God with the Whole Person
- Jun 1 — One Thing We Must Always Do
- Jul 21 — Getting the Right Answers
- Aug 10 — Love and Not Obey?
- Sep 27 — The Trust That Takes God Seriously
- Oct 23 — Jesus Christ Is Not Our Lord If . . .
- Dec 19 — Seeking God in His Word
From Reaching Forward . . .