- 1 14.5 oz can sliced beets
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Bring vinegar, water, sugar, and cloves to a boil.
- Drain the can of beets and place beets in the boiling mixture.
- Return to boil, and boil for 2 minutes.
- Cool and soak for at least 1 hour before serving.
- These beets are even better if they have been prepared in advance and kept in the refrigerator for a day or two before serving, so that the “pickling” has a chance to permeate the beets.
- If you are into canning, you can puts up jars of pickled beets, and there is nothing better than the home-canned variety.
- You can also, of course, buy pickled beets in the canned vegetables section of your grocery store, but I believe the recipe above gets closer to what we all remember our mothers making. Even so, when I’m in a hurry, a can of pickled beets is better than none at all.
Gary Henry – OldSouthernRecipes.com